Important buildings in Senningerberg
Until approximatively 1900, the village of Seningerberg had very few inhabitants (less than 100 with 22 dwellings and the 4 farms Höhenhof, Parishof, Franzosengrund and Münsterhof. Shortly after this date the constant growth of the population rate began and in 1982 the number of inhabitants had passed from 95 in 1900 to 1111 persons.
The construction of the railway “Charly” had a very important role. The narrow railway, active from 1904 until 1954 on the way between Luxembourg City and Echternach facilitated considerably the connection to Luxembourg City for the inhabitants. Senningen had its own station, constructed at Senningerberg.
Senningerberg developing quickly around this railway and spreading its dwellings up to the old quarry “Gromscheed”. Until the middle of the 20th century many other quarries had been run in this area, feeding most of the population.
After the shut-down of the “Charly” railway, the Sennigen station was demolished, but the old “Café de la Gare” could be preserved until nowadays.
Another historic building had been the inn “Stomparm”, once in front of the old station and probably the first house of Senningerberg.
The constant growth of the population at the beginning of the 20th century asked for many modernisation measures. In 1916–17 a new water supply net had been installed and one year later the old water tower was constructed. Later, on the site of the demolished railway station and rails the SEBES installed the new water conduits and built the new water tower called “mushroom” because of its shape.
The Loretto Chapel
The Loretto Chapel, symbol of energy and commitment of the inhabitants, was constructed in 1947 under the management of the local priest Mister Jos Biwer. This small house of God got a real little bell tower, a beautiful front side ornated with the sandstone bricks of the old washing well. The little bell had been offered by Mister Lucien Lamort had been the former bell of the Senningen paper factory. On the 12 october 1947, the chapel “Notre Dame de Loretto” had been consecrated to the patron saint of the aviators and flight passengers. In 2001 the chapel was transformed into a multifunctional public public community centre.
There is another old chapel in the rue des Romains, consecrated to the Madonna. It had been constructed in 1911 in a neo-gothic style by Mister Nicolas Adam.
The old school of Senningerberg, built in 1958 at the right side of the Loretto Chapel is worth a visit. It had been used until the new school centre “Am Sand” had been finished.
The old railway station in Senningen shortly before its demolition. Today the water tower occupies this site.