When the old church at the cemetery in Hostert became too small for the growing population, a « new quarter » had been brought to life between the years 1857 and 1859 in the village with the construction of the new church St. Jean. The monumental building surmounted the new quarter with its Place Grand-Duchesse Charlotte and three other buildings, built in form of a hemicycle around the church: these were the old school, the festival room for associations and the town hall.
Stairs are leading to the impressive neogothic church with its single tower, constructed on the height of the quarter. The non plastered main building in its yellow sandstones is divided into 5 axes, decorated with the typical pointed ark gothic windows and a polygonal chorus on its Westside.
In 1871 the statue of St. Cyriac had been put outside over the entrance gate of the St. Jean church. Before that date the golden sculpture of the Saint was placed at the right side of the church’s interior, where he is still enshrined. The regionally famous parish fair day of Hostert (“Hostert Day”) goes back to the times when people from all over the region did the pilgrimage to Hostert in honour of St. Cyriac.
Two interior frescos, illustrations of the lives of St.Martin and the beatified Schetzelo had unfortunately been lost because of painting works.
The beatified Schetzelo has since ever been deified in the municipality of Niederanven. He lived at the 12th century and spent 14 years of his life all alone in a grotto in the Grünewald forest, under the most poor and Spartan conditions. The old painting shows the cisterciensian monk Archadus, offering a coat against the cold to the pious hermit, ordered by the abbot of Clervaux.
The grotto where the hermit lived still exists today and has become a place of veneration over the years. The feast of the beatified Schetzelo is taking place every year on the second Sunday of the month of August.
The cultural centre Jean-Pierre Gloden, built in 1970, had the function of the town-hall until the year 2006. Until 1983 the local school was also located in this building. The new town hall was constructed in Oberanven and opened in January 2006. The building was demolished in 2013 to give way to a project of new houses.
The old school building, where once holding at the same time the post office and the town hall, is today the main room for associations and the office of a bank branch. On the first floor you can find the office “Geschichtsfrënn”. This building was reniewed in 2013 and serves today as offices and conference facility for the local associations.
The old associations’ room, today the meeting room of the consistory.